A Hair and Hormones Episode
Hair is one of the first things people notice about us. And according to hair and nutrition expert Samaria Grandberry, hair is also a barometer of our inner health.
Hair issues like thinning, loss, dryness, and breakage and scalp issues like seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, and eczema are common. But what is the root cause of these hair and scalp issues?
In this episode with RDN and Certified Trichologist Samaria Grandberry, we dive deep into root causes of hair issues, and treatment regimens, lifestyle factors, and nutrition for hair health.
Samaria is a Memphis-based registered dietitian and certified trichologist. Her background in nutrition and hair science, combined with her own struggles with skin and hair, makes her uniquely equipped to help women get to the root cause(s) of their hair loss. She uses holistic nutritional and trichological therapies – focusing on all aspects of a person’s life. And she encourages honoring your heritage while pursuing overall health and wellness. Her goal is to help you reclaim the power within through nutrition, hair, and lifestyle therapies.
This Week We Talk About:
- Common hair issues such as hair loss and thinning, breakage, and more
- How styling practices like heat treatments, chemical colors and relaxers, and certain hairstyles can increase hair loss and damage
- Common scalp issues including eczema, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis
- Root causes of hair and scalp issues, such as genetics, styling issues, nutrient deficiencies, stress, illness, hormonal imbalances, and natural hormonal shifts
- Why an individual, whole-person approach to hair care based on root causes is necessary — and what a healthy hair care regimen might look like
- Why you might want to consider making a cup of tea… for your hair!
- The connection between hair health, mindset, and mental health
- Nutrition for hair health – which nutrients you should really be focusing on and which one many people are taking that isn’t actually helping
- What to expect during a hair consultation and which lab tests and other findings can help identify the root cause(s) of your hair issues
- Conventional hair and scalp treatments and some of Samaria’s favorite off-the-shelf brands and products
Mentioned in this episode
PCOS Meal Prep Made Easy Workshop – In this hour-long workshop, I break down what foods you want to include for PCOS and what you may want to consider avoiding or minimizing. Learn my simple 3-step formula for planning meals with PCOS, which includes learning how to eat to balance blood sugar.
Where to find Samaria Grandberry, MS, RDN, WTS:
Samaria’s website: Feeding the Root
Samaria’s Instagram: @feedingtheroot
Love the podcast?
Leave a rating and review! Or share an episode with a friend who could benefit!